Saturday, June 2, 2007

Week 34

The Piglet weighs about 5lbs or more, about the size of a bag of sugar. He will continue to grow about 2 or more pounds in the next 6 weeks. Now that his brain has formed billions of neurons, it must accomplish the even more complex feat of hooking the neurons & synapses together. The Piglet's brain is forming trillions of connections, making it possible for him to learn in the womb. All of this brain development may be the reason that The Piglet sleeps frequently at this stage. His brain development is in no way complete at birth. In the first year after birth, a baby's brain triples in size & becomes 3/4 of its adult size.

I've been having the most difficult time sleeping at night. I get up every 2 hours (almost on schedule) to pee, then I need to re-adjust and get comfortable again. My shoulders are killing me from sleeping on my side, and I think back to early pregnancy when Marilyn told me all this was coming and while I believed her I didn't know how I wouldn't be able to sleep. Well, you just can't. It's too uncomfortable. I can't lean too far back or I'm on my back and it's hurting my stomach area. I can't lean too far forward or I'm on my stomach and it hurts my shoulder area. I have one pillow behind my back, a wedge pillow to support The Buddha, I have one pillow to put between my legs, I have a body pillow to support my front and I have two pillows under my head. Poor Steven, even with the queen size bed he's scooting off to the side. And yet he still says that he can't sleep that well unless I'm in bed with him. You'd think with all those pillows, it's like there is another complete person there! Oh, yeah... and I snore.. ALOT. Apparently even Riley was snorting and whining at me to shut up the other night.

I'm not sure why but I'm able to nap during the day without all this hassle. For example, I woke up really early this morning. Steven left for work around 600 am and I got up shortly afterward. I ate breakfast and started watching some "Seven Wonders of Canada" tv show. (fyi: pretty good) but I started getting sleepy around 8am so I went back to bed. Yeh, slept until the Nurse called me at 10am, gave her my numbers and fell back asleep until 1pm. Didn't get up to go to the bathroom once, didn't get up to re-adjust. What's up with that? But now I'm all disoriented because 1/2 the day is gone and I'm just getting started. Not that there's anything to actually "get started" on. The whole day is stretching in front of me and I don't really have that much to fill it. It's too hot to sit outside. I can't watch TV all day because that would be kind of pathetic. I don't want to read that much because that will just make me sleepy. I can't sit at the computer that long because I need to prop my feet up for longer periods of time to combat the swelling. Feel bad for me yet? I wish I had some really good oranges to eat.

No comments:

Lilypie