Saturday, June 16, 2007

And in Other News...

It's raining today...again. How depressing. I'm waiting for the nurse to call me so I can finish getting ready and meet Jen & Crystal for brunch. I'm pretty excited. Sad, I know but since I'm rarely out of the house and actually interacting with others, I'm fairly jazzed up!

I've been trying to put together my list of things that I need for when I go into labour. I mean, I should probably be prepared for something. I may pick up some things today while I'm out and then gradually over the next week or so pick up the rest. Don't worry, I'm allowed to be doing all these things, the doctor even said that she didn't want me cooped up in the house all the time but to get out and just ensure not to exert myself.

We asked Brenda to be our 2nd support person in the labour room. Not exactly sure how well that will be since a) she's going to be on vacation from Jun 30 - Jul 8 and b) she lives out of town. But I thought she would be the perfect candidate. She's been thru it before, she had some difficulties, she's quite easy-going and will be able to support both Steven & I. We did have some ground rules for her though! We'd like pictures but nothing below the waist. What is said in the birthing room STAYS in the birthing room. Not to take anything that is said personally because from what I gather, many things could be screamed out. However, all that being said, I'm not sure if she'll be around when they decide to induce me. I hope so, but we'll see.

Ah yes, and finally I was in the hospital yesterday. I actually have pictures to go with my story but I can't figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer so....

Anyway, part of the program is self-monitoring my blood pressure and if it is above a certain number then I need to wait 15 minutes and re-take it. So yesterday morning I got up nice & early because well, I just did. It's not something I normally do, I usually sleep until about 930a but yesterday I got up at 7am and I sat. (because you can't take your bp right away from the sleeping state). Then my first reading was 132/99. So I sat some more. And it was 136/103. So I sat some more. And it was 137/96. And again more sitting and waiting. And finally it was 140/98. Apparently at this point, they are more concerned with the bottom number, I can never remember what it's called. So following protocol, I called my nurse (who was actually supposed to come & see me yesterday) and she advised me to go directly to the PLC and get checked out, she would call ahead and let them know that I was on the way. Even though Steven is on nights, he was awake and watching TV with me so we got ready and off we went. I have to say this, just the previous night I had remarked that we should probably go online to do the PLC tour so we could see where the birthing centre is etc... Anyway, we went to the 3rd floor, and got a triage bed right away and they took my blood pressure, got hooked up to the fetal monitor, then I had blood taken and a urine sample. The doctor & nurse were always "right there". It was amazing, CHR definitely is doing something right with the maternity part of the health care system! They even sent up lunch for me. (not for poor Steven, who wouldn't actually leave me to get something to eat) Then I was sent for an ultrasound to check for any blood clots in my legs. We were there for about 5 hours and everything checked out fine. The doctor said the high blood pressure was just one of those things that could just happen. I need to watch what I do. No more of the "I'll just clean up this one thing" or "I'll just get this together". But otherwise, I'm doing okay. I have a regular dr. appt on Monday morning anyway, so we'll see what Dr. S says. And, no lectures, no "tell Steven" to do this or that... we know.... alright? Poor Steven is busting his ass working hard, then doing all this stuff around the house, constantly worrying about me because there's nothing that he can do to make me better.

No comments:

Lilypie