Saturday, June 23, 2007

Week 37

Size = Extra Large! The Piglet has likely hit the 6 pound mark by now, and his length is approximately 21". The weight on my abdomen probably feels like twice that. The Piglet is practising his breathing, but he has increasingly less space to practise stretching and kicking. His intestines are also building up meconium, a greenish-black substance made of baby by-products such as dead cells, shed lanugo, and amniotic fluid. It'll become The Piglet's first bowel movement, hopefully after he is out of womb. His body fat has increased to about 8%. By birth, it'll be about 15%. The Piglet's testes will have descended into his scrotum. While The Piglet could be born at any time, the longer he stays in, the more time he has to develop the connections in his brain in the pleasant peace & quiet of the womb. At this point, he can do all the things a newborn can, with the exception of breathing air and pooping in a diaper. Just as I'm feeling stretched, The Piglet is being squeezed on all sides. Some of my antibodies are crossing the placenta, giving The Piglet's immune system some support for his first days in the world. The hormone relaxin s causing all of the smooth muscle in my body to unclench. I'll feel like I have loose "rag-doll" joints. Inside, the smooth muscle layer of my uterus is flattening & relaxing to accomodate my body's weight gain. I may have round ligament pains (sharp muscle cramps around the place where the bathing suit leg holes are) as these ligaments are softening and being pulled by the growing weight of The Piglet.
- excerpt from: Great expectations : your all-in-one resource for pregnancy & childbirth by Jones, Sandy

I had the nurse visit today. I asked her about the blood pressure during labour and she said they may advise me to have an epidural since it would decrease my bp. Hmm, interesting. I wasn't sure how I felt about the epidural, I was hoping that I could get by without it since you don't actually feel and would't feel the urge to push. I'm unsure about that whole procedure but really, I've never been in that situation so it's all guess work for me.

We went to Rosie & Jay's yesterday afternoon. Alana had a bunch of baby stuff to give to us! I haven't actually gone thru it since I was sitting down and I think it's actually all still sitting in the truck. But it looks like alot and apparently she doesn't want any of it returned!

Ollie stopped by last night to check on the counter/cupboard and now we'll have to coordinate a time to get the dishwasher installed. But first, we need to buy the dishwasher. Better get on that!

I can't wait until my family comes to visit!

No comments:

Lilypie