Saturday, April 28, 2007

Week 29 - Third Trimester

The Piglet is about 2 1/2 pounds & would be between 15-17" tall if he could stand. His adrenal glands are producing a chemical which will be made into estriol (a form of estrogen) by the placenta. - excerpt from: Great expectations : your all-in-one resource for pregnancy & childbirth by Jones, Sandy
We have now entered the third trimester! From pregnancy 29 weeks and beyond I will experience, among other things rapid weight gain. The Piglet's muscles and lungs will continue to develop and mature, his brain is also developing and maturing, with billions of neurons forming daily. The Piglet requires more nutrition than ever now, so it is important that I do everything possible to eat well and get plenty of sleep during this important developmental period!

My uterus is now about 3 and a half to four inches above your belly button. The weight gain may be as high as 25 to 26 pounds by pregnancy week 29. You definitely look and feel pregnant for the remainder of your pregnancy week by week!

I am probably plagued by heartburn once again, as my belly grows more and more substantial each day. I should be paying attention to your baby's movements each and every day. In general I will notice patterns of rest and wakefulness in your baby.

Now more than ever it is important that I eat several small meals per day. The Piglet needs the nutrients, and my digestive processes have slowed tremendously due to rising levels of progesterone and the decreasing space in The Buddha.

It is also important that I drink plenty of water during the third trimester to help ward off constipation, which can result in hemorrhoids.

Many women find that edema or swelling, particularly in the legs and feet becomes uncomfortable during the last trimester. Be sure to drink plenty of water, engage in light exercise such as walking, and keep my legs and feet elevated whenever possible.
-excerpt from
www.womanshealthcaretopics.com

This morning we had our Infant CPR course. It was quite informative. Steven broke one of the babies when he was trying to dislodge a foreign object. We learned basic CPR for infants, children & adults; choking procedures and basic safety. Quite alot of stuff packed into 4 hours. Would I be confident? Possibly not... but I know what to do and hopefully I will never have to use this knowledge on anyone.

Yesterday we went to get Steven some new pants, then dinner, then up to Airdrie to get picked on by Shawn & Marilyn. I think they still think that we are woefully unprepared. But we have over 2 months left and we'll be starting the baby's room this month (May) and then we'll have a place to put stuff. Besides, I have The List of the things that we need and don't worry, we'll have the essentials. Although, a big thank you to both of them for the crash course on nipples, bottles and breast milk. I never knew all this stuff about pumping.... sigh.... Steven offered to build me a breast pump from his air compressor.

Tonight we're going on a date to Jubilations Dinner Theatre. Aside from being absolutey exhausted (Steven's actually napping right now, he's coming off night shift), it should be a fun evening. We have to share a table with some strangers, hopefully they don't expect us to talk with them other than what politeness dictates.
I'm starting to regret joining Facebook. It's like the Crack of the Internet.

No comments:

Lilypie