Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Breast Pumps and Bottles and Nipples... oh my!

Alright, so I started to feel guilty about not buying baby stuff. So last weekend I had to go to the mall to run some errands, I thought that I would stop into Zellers to price some baby things. People, I seriously thought my head was going to explode...after my eyes stopped bleeding. I was prepared for the prices and the selection but what I wasn't prepared for was the bottles and nipples. Who knew there were so many different kinds?!?!?! WHO KNEW? Why in the world are there so many different kinds of nipples? How in the world do they test market these things? Yeh, so I gave up looking and had some lunch. I'm thinking that I really need Brenda to come and HELP ME. Just putting that out there.

Last night was our first Childbirth Essentials class. There were 2 jokers in addition to Steven. It was fun. Very eye opening. While I vaguely understood the concept of 10cm dilated; I guess I was a bit unclear on what actually was doing the dilating and how big 10cm was. In the big scheme of things, yes 10 cm not that big... in comparison to it's normal circumference... quite a difference. I was telling the story to Dawna tonight and she said "well didn't you know how big 10cm was?" My response? "NOW, I do". Adele (the educator) had these felt swatches that had the different circumferences cut and you could see the progression. She passed it around and I compared the smallest to the 10cm and it was shocking. I won't bore you with all the bitter details but it was a good class. Another dad asked if he had to be in the delivery room so Steven asked if there was perhaps a sheet or curtain to obscure "that view" from his eyes. Another mom in class reassured them that they shouldn't worry and they could stay well north of the shoulders. All of the moms are further along than I am. I would say between 30 and 34 weeks. One mom may actually have the baby prior to class ending!

Guess what? It looks like my sister, Dawna, is coming to visit at the end of June! She wants to see me big and fat. As long as she's also able to come & see The Piglet afterwards, she's always more than welcome. I'm so excited! So I called my mom tonight to find out when she was going to come and stay with me. She's coming down when I start my mat leave and will stay until the baby is born (and the first few days). And then Steven, myself, Riley & The Piglet will bond as a family for hopefully a couple of weeks without any houseguests. And then she's coming back when Steven goes back to work and then Dawna comes again. It's coming up so fast! That picture is us at the Mall of America a couple of years ago. (she lives in Minneapolis)

My fecankles (feet, ankles, calves) are horrendous tonight. Not too sure why. I wasn't on my feet all day nor was I sitting all day. Anyway, they were tingling on the way home but I just thought they were tired but when I was in the recliner and glanced at them, holy shit. They are more swollen than anything yet. There is absolutely no definition on the top of my foot, just puffiness and tingling. I can't even take a picture, it wouldn't do the fecankles justice. Seeing is definitely believing! Even my big pink shoes (that look like slippers) are too tight. I must buy some new shoes, maybe tomorrow at lunch.

No comments:

Lilypie