Saturday, April 7, 2007

Week 26

The Piglet weighs about 1 1/2 pounds and has undergone a growth spurt in the past few weeks. From weeks 20-28, he almost doubles in height and now would be about a foot tall if he could stand. This week marks a major milestone in The Piglet's hearing & sight. His hearing system (cochlea & peripheral sensory end organs), which began fine development during week 18, is now completely formed, and over the next few weeks, he'll become increasingly sensitive to sound. In about a month, I'll feel him jump if he hears a sudden loud noise. Sound passes easily into my uterus, which helps his ears develop.
His eyes are almost fully formed. Did you know that all babies have blue eyes in the womb, no matter what their genetic inheritance is? A baby's eyes don't get their final colour until a few months after they are born. The air sacs of the lungs, called alveoli, will be developed by the end of this week and will begin to secrete a substance called surfactant that keeps the lung tissue from sticking together.
Sleeping is definitely getting uncomfortable. I should try sleeping on my left side. The Piglet has to battle with my backbone when I'm lying on my back, and sleeping on my back will also position my uterus over a major artery, cutting off blood flow. If this happens, I may feel light-headed.
- excerpt from: Great expectations : your all-in-one resource for pregnancy & childbirth by Jones, Sandy
Not too much going on here. Have been packing up all my clothes that don't fit and probably won't fit for awhile. They're sitting in garbage bags in the hallway for Steven to cart down to the crawl space. Doing laundry. Doing dishes. Grocery shopping. Boring. Boring. Boring. After I'm done this, I'm going to cut up my pineapples and eat them while I do my school work. Like I said, boring.

No comments:

Lilypie