Saturday, March 31, 2007

Week 25 - The Third Trimester!

The Piglet weighs about 1 1/4 pounds and is a little more than 11" long, about the size of a small bag of sugar. In the last third of the pregnancy, he'll double or triple his weight. The Piglet is a dexterous baby who can touch and hold his feet & make a fist. I may be able to hear his heartbeat with a simple stethoscope. Steven may be able to hear it by pressing his ear against my belly. The Piglet has a regular sleep schedule now and active and inactive periods. I may or may not be able to discern when these periods are. His nostrils, which have been plugged, open up.
Welcome to the third trimester. I'm 2/3 of the way there, I'm really in the homestretch now. While reaching the third trimester feels like great progress, with it comes a return to fatigue (great!), dizziness & constant trips to the bathroom. My belly can't be disguised. My uterous is the size of a soccer ball & my ribs, diaphragm and stomach are being compressed. This compression forces acid back up into my esophagus, which can give me heartburn & make me feel full after eating only a little food.
- excerpt from: Great expectations : your all-in-one resource for pregnancy & childbirth by Jones, Sandy
We went to our first class this morning. "Early Pregnancy". I don't think I really learned anything new, it would have been great to take this in my first trimester; I was by far the most pregnant lady in the class. It did drive home the fact that I should really get my ass in gear and start exercising again. I stated as much to Steven on the car ride home; and I barely got the sentence out of my mouth when he said "well, yeah." So I shot back that he could have phrased it differently, like he was supporting me as opposed to pointing out that I'm fat and should be exercising. He then said, no, he was merely agreeing with what Sheila the instructor said. I told him he should maybe not agree that fast with stuff like this. Bastard.
He said the only thing that he really learned was that we had to go to the 3rd floor at the hospital and that there were a whole lot of ugly people breeding and they were in our class. What can you do besides just shake your head?
This is funny, when we got to the Hospital, it wasn't in the main building so we parked, and the pay station was out of order so I had to scurry across the street to another one to get a ticket. Then (and mind you we're following directions) we go in the front doors, go up the elevator to the 2nd floor and try and find the correct room. It was weird, it was all exam rooms and what not but there wasn't another soul in sight. All the doors were open. Then we backtracked to the elevators and met up with another pregnant lady and she was in our class too. We wandered around for a couple of minutes and then discovered that we should have turned LEFT when we got in the front doors and gone over to the North Tower. So we get in the elevator and we talking about how weird it is that the building seems deserted and I remark that it's just like the beginning of a horror movie; and she (the other lady) shouldn't have walked off alone, that was a sure sign of being the first to go. So then Steven says no, it's always the black person and since in our situation there wasn't a black person, I would be the first to get killed because I was the minority. (thanks, dear) I thought it was funny; she probably thought that we were insane and about to kill her. We're so weird sometimes.
Yesterday after I got home from work, we were discussing what to eat for dinner. I was really tired so I didn't want to go out but Steven thought that we were going to Red Lobster for Lobsterfest. I laid down and was feeling The Pig move about when suddenly there was this distinct poking or dragging sensation underneath the skin. The coolest thing ever! Suddenly not so tired but very excited. It happened a couple more times while I was laying down. I honestly don't know if these were kicks, pokes or elbowing but it is definitely different from the normal movements. I came downstairs after 10 minutes and we went out for dinner. The Pig continued to move throughout the evening. Let me tell you about Red Lobster... the best thing? Probably the canned music that they played! All from our generation growing up, it was frickin' awesome. I was really disappointed in the lobster, I never knew that lobster tails could be so small; it was way smaller than the palm of my hand. Crab legs are a pain in the ass, so much work for so little meat. The shrimp was good tho' and Steven was funny. We got the bill and it was relatively low, very surprising until he remembered that he only had a soft drink so that was why it was so low!
Did you know that Home Depot is open until 10pm? That's right. We had to go there to replace a light dome on our ceiling fan because someone broke it with a golf club the other day. Someone was in the living room practising their chip shot when they broke it. Oh well, it could have been worse.
We're off to the Roughnecks game tonight. Shawn & Russ are picking us up. Should be a fun night. I better go tidy up the living room.

No comments:

Lilypie