Saturday, May 19, 2007

Week 32

The Piglet weighs about 4lbs and is about 15-17" tall. Photographs of babies in utero at this stage show their skin becoming less translucent and pinker, as layers of fat are deposited under the skin. His skeleton is rapidly ossifying (turning from cartlidge into solid bone) which means kicks will be stronger. Kicks may even become visible through my shirt as the trimester progresses. Well placed kicks under my ribs can take my breath away. From now until delivery, I'll be gaining about a pound a week. About half of that gain is the Piglet's, the rest is fluid retention.
-excerpt from: Great expectations : your all-in-one resource for pregnancy & childbirth by Jones, Sandy

The Piglet now has toenails and fingernails to complement his frame and he continues to grow strong.

The total volume of blood circulating in my body is about 40 to 50 percent higher than it was before I became pregnant. This added blood volume helps accommodate The Piglet. Some women find they are experiencing more shortness of breath at this time during their pregnancy. I need to be sure to avoid overexertion and take time to rest during the day.

I might start experiencing pain in my butt and lower back among other places by pregnancy week 32 as my center of gravity shifts. I need to take care when walking to avoid unnecessary falls or slips!

At this point I should make an effort to drink lots of water as I continue the pregnancy week by week and consume foods high in fiber to help combat constipation, which is typically during late pregnancy. As I continue to grow my hips will start to expand and my ligaments will stretch to help prepare my body for labor.

I went to the library this morning to try and find some "decorating nurseries" books to give us some ideas etc.... Frankly, what a load of crap. There were so many hoity toity fancy schmancy ideas and really, that's not us. So, then I went to Zellers on my next quest.... a foot bath. What a joy. But the one I wanted wasn't there. Then I went to Micheal's. Not for the foot bath but for some decorating ideas. There were a couple of foamy-type kid things that we could paint and put on the wall. I went to Rona, same old crap. I just don't know anymore, why did think this would be easy? Then onto London Drugs... for the foot bath. SCORE! But here's my bitch of the day, I was walking down this aisle, carrying the large box (which, btw was not heavy) and there were people on either side of the aisle. Everyone squeezed in so I could shimmy my way thru but then there was this COW and her husband coming from the other direction. She pushed her way thru and pushed me to the side to get past. Her husband stopped and let me pass and heard me as I muttered "stupid bitch" under my breath and saw the expression on my face and the fact that my belly was quite large. He, at least, had the decency to look ashamed.

What am I going to do for the rest of the long weekend? Study. That's the plan, Stan. My exam is booked for June 1, yes, the day of the potential transit strike. Not sure what I'm going to do if that happens. Sure I can drive down, but where the hell can I park? I guess, I'll just play it by ear.

I have another doctor's appointment next Wednesday morning. It's a follow-up from last Monday. Will keep you posted.


No comments:

Lilypie