Friday, September 30, 2011

Puppies, Oh My!

When the backyard was "under construction", Riley had to do his business in the front.  So one morning before work, I was walking Riley before I had to get to work.

No sooner had Riley & I walked in the front door but I heard a thud and a screaming dog.  It was a horrible noise.  I shuffled Riley in and ran back outside.  I stood on the front walk, looked down the street and saw a car drive away.  And then I saw a tiny little dog come running towards me on the sidewalk.  I tried to call him to me but he skittered away and ran down the block. 

Then I saw my neighbours walk out onto the road with a towel and return to the boulevard with a bundle.

OH MY GOD, it was a dog.  A tiny white dog.  A tiny white dog that was also hit by the car. 

So I walk down and chat with my neighbor.  I bend down and cuddle the dog and talk to the dog.  As I'm doing this, the dog rallys and gets up and walks.  And then my neighbour picks up the towel and walks back into her house.

What the fuck?  Seriously?  You leave me with the dog?

So the dog & I walked back to the house.  I left the dog on my step and went inside.  The little dog and Riley sniffed each other through the screen door while I got the phone and figured out what to do.

I went back outside and scooped up the dog in my jacket and carried him up the block to hopefully find his owner.  No luck.

I called the city to arrange a pick-up.  But they didn't open until 7:00am so I waited.  The little dog & I waited. 

Do you know what my options were?  They couldn't pick up right away rather "they'd be there in a couple hours".  So if I didn't have a secure place to hold the dog, then I could drop him off at a vet office or I'd have to let him go.  Let him loose.  To probably get him by another car.

Do you know what I did?  I woke up Steven.  And he came down and took care of the dog so I could get to work.  Initially I had locked Riley in the bedroom while Steven came to see the little dog.  And holy smokes, Riley cried and barked and made a fuss.  So introduced the little dog to Riley.  It did not go well.  Riley tried to eat the other dog and so he was banished from the living room.

I still can't believe that there was a car that hit not one but TWO dogs and then drove off.  Fucking bastard.

A couple days later, Steven thinks that he saw the little white dog walking with his person.  Hopefully a happy ending.

Do you see the red "leash"?
It's actually a Christmas ribbon with bells.
John uses it as a leash for his stuffed Spot dog.

No comments:

Lilypie