Thursday, July 19, 2007

Maybe The Story will Finish?

Okay, so I was being prepped for the c-section and frankly I was scared. I've never had surgery before. Steven stayed with me until they wheeled me out. Then I was ... well, I guess it's the operating room... there were alot of people. The anesthesiologist came and did his wonderful thing, asking "can you feel this?" "can you move your legs?" etc...
Steven came in once I was all prepped and curtained off. My arms splayed out. Apparently now the dad's are made to sit in a wheelchair in the event they pass out and need to be wheeled out! Anyway, I remember wondering whether I would be able to feel any pain at all. I remember licking my lips and having no saliva to wet them. I remember my lips sticking together and not being able to breathe and wondering what would happen if I threw up, would I suffocate? I was also given something for my nausea.
Off to the side, there was someone giving me a play-by-play. Letting me know, "you're going to feel this right now and this is what they are doing". I remember them saying that you're going to feel an incredible amount of pressure on your chest like someone is standing on it. I remember joking that they probably had a foot up there and was using my chest for leverage. Then I remember them saying that John was coming out and me holding my breath until I heard his cry. I remember asking Steven to see if he was okay, to go and check on him. And then they brought him over to us. I wasn't able to hold him but Steven held him and it was all good.
Again, it gets a bit hazy for me. Afterwards, we were wheeled into recovery and I remember thinking that it was over. I couldn't breathe anymore. My lips were sticking together. My nose was plugged. I couldn't catch my breath and I wondered what would happen if I stopped breathing. I remember shaking and my teeth chattering. And then nothing, the next thing I remember is being transferred from the table onto my bed in my hospital room.
Phew, finally finished the story of John.

No comments:

Lilypie