Monday, June 30, 2008

I AM ONE YEAR OLD!


John is one year old today. I can't even believe how fast the year passed. It seems like yesterday that I was getting induced and laying in the hospital bed wondering how our life was going to change. I couldn't even imagine all this wonderfulness. The long, stressful labour that I don't really remember all of. The emergency c-section. The rough breastfeeding introduction. The incision that didn't heal that well because I was an idiot about not "taking it easy" for the 6 weeks. I remember how scared I was that first night by myself in the hospital. How scared. How overwhelmed. How amazed. Utterly in awe of this tiny little baby. So in love. Just perched on the edge of the bed, watching him. Fearful of falling asleep and not being on watch over him.

And now an entire year has passed in a blink of an eye. How did that happen? Where did my baby go? Who is this little boy? The little boy who crawls at the speed of light and cruises along the furniture. The little boy who zooms for Riley and laughs maniacly when Riley runs away or gleefully grabs handfuls of fur from poor Riley. Or the little boy who leans over the side of his high chair and systematically throws Riley food during each and every meal. John is a wonder. I love him more & more every day and am thankful for our blessing each and every day. His hair is getting longer and there are these adorable little curls at the back and I'm holding off the inevitable haircut. I just can't bear the thought right now.

Just one glance and he breaks out in the biggest smile and you can see the absolute joy in his little tiny face. His arms out reaching for you or rather to grab your hair. And then he'll look at you with complete rapture grab your hand (or foot), lovingly bring it to his face and then chomp down with his 6 teeth. Holy smokes can he ever bite hard!

We've been so lucky. He's very easy going. He's very good natured and happy. He's rarely cranky. And the best part? He's been sleeping thru the night since probably January. He's a great sleeper. He's down between 8:30pm & 9:00pm and he'll sleep until about 8:00am. Sometimes he cries out but for the most part he's able to settle himself back to sleep. I'm thankful that those hazy sleep deprived days are gone. They nearly killed me.


No comments:

Lilypie